Monday, January 10, 2011

It's a New Year. . .

It is now 2011 and like most people my New Years resolution was to get healthier. Yes, I'd like to lose 30lbs and I'd like to have the body of Jennifer Aniston but I know that isn't reality. But what I can commit to is cooking & eating healthier for me. I don't want the diabetic gene in my family to creep up on me in 10-15 years.

Weight Watchers has launched a new Points Plus plan and so far I am loving it. How can you not when a banana is no longer 2 points & now is 0!!

Here's a recipe I got at my meeting last week for Taco Soup. So easy, so delicious & so filling:



1lb ground beef
1 onion, diced
1 package taco seasoning
1 package Hidden Valley ranch dip mix
1 can corn, undrained
1 can black beans, drained
1 can kidney beans, drained
1 can pinto beans *i didn't use these
1 can diced tomatoes *I used real tomatoes, didn't have canned
1 can rotel (tomatoes with chilis)
1 can tomato sauce
1 cup water . . . I used less. . depending on how thick or thin you want your soup

Brown meat, drain fat. Stir in onions, cook until translucent. Add taco seasoning, stir. Add all other ingredients & simmer for an hour or more.

I topped my 1 cup bowl with a pinch of fat free shredded cheddar. Was delicious! You can also stir in some fat free sour cream to thicken the soup up.

I calculated this as 10 1cup servings for 4 points plus.

No comments: