Monday, February 21, 2011

Arroz con Pollo


I love Gina's site, no matter how often I go to it, I always find something new I want to make. I am constantly trying to cook mexican/latin type dishes & never have any luck, especially if they require making rice from scratch. But I saw this & I had to give it a try. The flavor was right, but the texture of the rice wasn't. I forgot one major step "simmer out most of the liquid". I'll try it again in the future. I do not have a large enough skillet to make this entire dish in so I used the skillet for the chicken & a large pot for the rest of the recipe.

8 skinless chicken thighs
1 Tbsp vinegar
1/2 packet Sazon
1/2 tsp Adobo (I could not find this so I used a spanish rice seasoning)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 onion
1/4 cup cilantro (I used flakes)
3 cloves garlic
5 scallions
2 tbsp bell pepper
1 tomato, diced
1 tsp olive oil
2 1/2 cups uncooked rice
4 cups water
1 chicken bouillon
1 packet sazon
salt to taste

Season chicken with vinegar, 1/2 sazon packet, adobo & garlic powder. Let side 10 inutes. Heat a large, deep skillet on medium, add 2 tsp oil. Add chicken & brown 5 minutes on each side. Remove & set aside.

Place onion, cilantro, garlic, scallions & pepper in food processor to chop. Add 1 tsp oil to skillet & saute mixture until soft. Add tomato, cook an additional minute. Add rice & mix well, cook 1 minute. Add water, bouillon & sazon packet, mix scraping up brown bits from chicken. Taste with salt. Add chicken & nestle it into the rice. Bring to a boil. Simmer on med-low until most of the liquid evaporate & reduce to low & cover.

Cook 20 minutes without opening lid. Remove from heat & let sit an additional 10 minutes with the lid on! Fluff with fork & serve

Serves 8. I serving is 1 thigh & 1 cup rice.

No comments: