Monday, February 7, 2011

Super Bowl Sunday Snacks

I'm a Steelers fan so needless to say Super Bowl XLV didn't turn out the way I had hoped. Would have been nice to see the Steelers win twice since my husband got me back into football a few years ago. And boo, football season is over. What will we do on Sundays now?!?!

I took some time in the weeks leading up to the Super Bowl to find some easy, healthy but enjoyable appetizers for the game. And I made these two:





Easy Italian Pinwheels Recipe

2oz fat free shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup pepperoni, chopped (I used mini turkey pepperoni)
1/4 tsp oregano
1 egg, seperated
1 can reduced fat crescent rolls

Preheat oven to 375.
Combine cheese, pepperoni, oregano & egg yolk. Mix well.
Separate dough into 4 rectangles, pinching seams to seal. Spread each rectangle with 3 Tbsp pepperoni mixture. Roll each up, starting at the shortest side. Pinch to seal. Brush with beaten egg white (I skipped this step). Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown. Slice each roll into 6 slices.





Potato Skins

5 potatoes, scrubbed clean
3 slices bacon, cooked crisp
1 cup fat free cheddar, shredded

Preheat oven to 400. Place potatoes directly on rack & bake about an hour. (do not fork holes in the potatoes). Let potatoes cool. Slice in half lengthwise. Scoop potato out of skins. (Reserve potato for another meal like mashed potatoes) Sprinkle potato skins with shredded cheddar & bacon. Bake 10-15 minutes.

I topped our potato skins with some light sour cream. And added green onion to Brads.

These appetizers came out delicious & were so simple to make. The potato skins can be make ahead of time as well. I cooked the potatoes around noon, prepped them & stuck them in the fridge until halftime when I baked them.

No comments: